A Successful Experiment! Creamy Celery & Almond Cupcakes
Creamy Celery & Almond Cupcakes The challenge of my baking today takes on celery! Yes, people, celery. It is perfect timing to tie this concoction into my baking with veggies recipes. I had a fresh stalk of celery just awaiting me in the refrigerator. Off to work I go, disguising more vegetables in a delightfully sweet treat for my little girls. This cupcake recipe combines the flavors of bold celery, almond, and cinnamon. It’s really quite a combination. The celery comes through strong after you swallowed the last bite! It is reminiscent of a zucchini or carrot cake but definitely shows pizazz with an almond-celery cream cheese frosting! Let’s get chopping!
Creamy Celery & Almond Cupcakes
Yields: 15 standard size cupcakes
For the cake
3/4 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1 tsp pure almond extract
1 cup all purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tbsp cinnamon
1 cup shredded fresh celery (dry slightly with paper towel)
1/4 cup instant vanilla pudding mix (half box)
1.Preheat oven to 375 degrees and line 15 standard cupcake cups.
2. With a food processor, shred fresh celery stalks including the leaves. Place the shredded celery on a paper towel to soak up a lot of the water. Then place shredded celery in a dry ingredients measuring cup.
3. In a sifter, over a dry ingredients bowl, measure and place the flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Place aside.
4. In an electric mixer, place oil and both sugars.
5. Mix and then add eggs one at a time.
6. Next mix in instant vanilla pudding mix, cinnamon, and almond extract.
7. Then add in celery. Batter will be watery.
8. Slowly, on the lowest setting, stir in sifted dry ingredients. Once most of the dry ingredients are combined, turn off mixer and mix thoroughly by hand. Be sure to scrap sides and bottom.
9. With a 2 tbsp disher (ice cream scooper), place batter into lined pans 2/3rds way full. Bake 10-12 minutes until tops spring back or toothpick inserted into top center comes out clean.
10. Allow to cool in pan for 5 minutes. Then move to a cooling rack. Meanwhile start your frosting.
Celery & Almond Cream Cheese Frosting
1/2 cup salted butter, softened
1/2 cup cream cheese, softened
1/4 cup vegetable shortening
1 tsp pure almond extract
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/3 cup shredded fresh celery, dried thoroughly
4 cups powdered sugar
1. In an electric mixer, beat butter, cream cheese, and shortening until smooth.
2. Press the 1/3 cup shredded celery in a paper towel until completely dry. Set aside.
3. Add almond extract and cinnamon to butter mixture.
4. Slowly mix in powdered sugar.
5. Finally add celery.
6. Place frosting in a piping bag with frosting tip. Pipe cooled cupcakes with 2 turns of the frosting bag finishing in the center.
Enjoy your celery in this new and fun way!