After School Snack-time With My Frozen Berry Basil Non-Dairy Smoothie!
Yes, it’s that time again….school!!! Seriously, this momma welcomes the school year very happily every late summer. I don’t know about y’alls children or even yourselves, but everyday when school lets out, my kiddos are STARVING. I am bombarded every time they walk through that door with “what can I have for a snack?”. And majority of the time my littles are craving something sweet. I absolutely don’t want them eating dessert or cookies after school; so I figured why not sneak in a tasty smoothie?
But here are 2 problems with the smoothie idea:
1. 3 of my girls detest fresh fruit, yup refuse to eat it whatsoever (unless it is in ice cream or a cake).
2. Dairy….Yes, we actually try to stay clear of dairy when possible. I know, I know, I use it in my baking, but drinking real dairy does just not “go over well” in our home.
So the trick to this possible smoothie dilemma? Frozen berries, a hint of basil, So Delicious Strawberry ice cream, and So Delicious Vanilla Coconut milk! Not to mention, a cute mason jar and paper striped straw! Yup, believe it or not they chug this smoothie as if it is a strawberry milkshake from the ice cream parlor! And much to my surprise, one of my foodie friends shared a So Delicious Snackable Recipe Contest with me. So let me tell you, I did a little jig when I knew I “killed 2 birds with 1 stone” with this lil’ post 🙂
I must share with you also, I am ABSOLUTELY addicted to So Delicious dairy free products! Seriously, now instead of coffee in the morning and evening, I now drink So Delicious Vanilla Coconut Milk. AND the belly is happy about it 🙂
Let’s start baking…well, not really 🙂
Frozen Berry Basil Non-Dairy Smoothie
Yields: 4 servings
2 cups of So Delicious Vanilla Coconut Milk
2 cups of So Delicious Strawberry Ice Cream
2 cups of frozen strawberries ( I buy fresh and put in freezer)
2 cups of ice cubes
3-4 small fresh basil leaves (grab a few extra and set aside for garnishing)
1/2 cup of frozen blueberries (again, I buy fresh and freezer myself)
1. In a blender, place all of the above ingredients EXCEPT frozen blueberries.
2. Puree all of the ingredients until perfectly blended.
3. Get out those cute mason jars and pour smoothie into each
4. Place frozen blueberries by the handful on top of each brightly pink smoothie.
5. Garnish with a small piece of basil.
6. Add in that cute paper straw and enjoy!