Awaken Those Tastebuds With Creamy Blueberry Lemon Chiffon Cupcakes
It’s time to lighten things up and bring a little fruitiness into the mix. Today, I am feeling like we need to change the dessert from rich and gooey to bright, light, and tangy! Then the thought of refreshing lemons popped into my little brain! I have had many people enjoy my Blueberry-Lemon Cupcakes for quite sometime. Granted, fruity flavors are not MY go to choice for dessert but, on occasion, it is definitely nice to awaken your senses after a good dinner with a sweet and slightly sour treat. Last night, I was totally into making these lemon cupcakes, yet my picky little ladies turned their noses up at the idea. Looks like I will be the only one eating dessert tonight! Yea, more for Momma!
This cake is SUPER moist and airy. Really, it feels as if you are holding a cotton ball when they come out of the oven. The lemony cake is a chiffon, which is made up of vegetable oil instead of butter. Add a couple of zested lemons, instant lemon pudding, and lemon extract and you get a very delightful lemon flavor. It is not overpowering at all! I like the contrast of the blueberry flavor that highlights the cream cheese frosting. Then I drizzle a store bought blueberry syrup on top and garnish with a sugared lemon slice for that added pizazz! It is an eye capturing dessert at many parties and bbq’s, the colors just grab everyones attention. But it’s that amazing flavor and texture that will really get your crowd coming back for seconds. Ready, set, go!
Creamy Blueberry Lemon Chiffon Cupcakes
Yields: 24 standard cupcakes
For The Cake:
2 cups all purpose flour (don’t presift)
1 tbsp baking powder
3/4 tsp salt
1 1/2 cup granulated sugar
3/4 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup instant lemon pudding (one box)
2 whole eggs (room temp)
1 1/2 cup milk (I use whole)
2 tsp lemon extract
2 lemons zested
Creamy Blueberry Frosting:
1 cup salted butter, softened
1 cup blueberry cream cheese spread, softened
1/2 cup vegetable shortening
1/2 tbsp of imitation clear vanilla extract ( I like McCormicks)
7 cups powdered sugar
For The Garnish:
Blueberry syrup (found in the breakfast syrup isle of grocer)
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees and line 24 standard size cupcake tins.
2. In a dry ingredients bowl, sift flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
3. In an electric mixer, mix vegetable oil, instant pudding and sugar.
4. Add in eggs and whip medium high to high for 2 minutes (be sure eggs are room temperature).
5. Mix in lemon extract and lemon zest.
6. Alternate slowly, mixing in dry ingredients with the milk. When milk is just about completely incorporated, turn off mixer and stir by hand thoroughly. Be sure to scrap bottom well.
7. Using a 2 tbsp disher, fill each cupcake liner 2/3rd way full. Bake for 10-12 minutes until top springs back to touch or toothpick comes out of center clean.
8. Allow to cool in pan for 5 minutes and then remove from pan and allow to finish cooling on rack. Prepare frosting while waiting.
For The Frosting
1. In an electric mixer, combine butter, blueberry cream cheese, and vegetable shortening until smooth.
2. Add in clear vanilla.
3. Slowly stir in one cup at a time of powdered sugar. After all sugar was slowly mixed in, I like to whip it on medium-high about 2 minutes until airy and fluffy (If frosting seems slightly thin, add 1/2 cup more powdered sugar at a time until desired consistency).
4. Place in piping bag for frosting cupcakes.
5. When cupcakes are completely cooled, pipe blueberry cream cheese frosting with 2 turns of the piping bag raising upwards and ending in the center of the cupcake.
6. Garnish with a zigzag drizzle of the blueberry syrup and top with a slice of lemon that was covered in some granulated sugar (or you can top with a single fresh blueberry).
Enjoy and pucker up!