Award Winning Perugina Chocolate Lovers Stuffed Cookies
I bake these Perugina Chocolate Lovers Stuffed Cookies very often. My family of 6 are huge fans of Perugina chocolate and crave dark chocolate all the time. My sweet young daughters are always in the kitchen with me enjoying every moment of hiding the Perugina chocolate squares in the delectable Perugina chocolate cookie dough. My husband is a die-hard fan of dark chocolate and I am always looking for new ways to incorporate it in fun baked goods. Everyone who tries these beauties can’t get over the ooze of the chocolate centers.
These yummy cookies took 2nd place in the Perugina and Fine Cooking Magazine Chocolate Dessert Challenge! There were only 2 prizes offered- grand prize was a chocolate lover’s trip to New York for two and 2nd place receives a Baci/Perugina Chocolate basket, a year’s subscription to Fine Cooking Magazine, and a special interest baking addition publication. I am honored that my cookie recipe was recognized and we are able to enjoy some super fine chocolate 🙂
Perugina Chocolate Lovers Stuffed Cookies
2 sticks (1 cup) of margarine made with 80% vegetable oil, softened
3/4 cup granulated sugar
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
2 dark chocolate Perugina bars or milk chocolate (whichever preferred)
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
2 & 2/3 cup all purpose flour
2 dark chocolate caramelized almond Perugina chocolate bars
1. 2 hours prior to baking, place 2 dark chocolate caramelized almond Perugina bars in the freezer.
2. Preheat oven 375 degrees. In an electric mixer, beat margarine until smooth.
3. Add sugars. Put the 2 Perugina Chocolate bars of your choice (that were not placed in the freezer) broken up into a microwave safe bowl. Microwave in 30 second intervals stirring. When melted allow to cool a couple of minutes. Stir into margarine and sugar mixture.
4. Mix in eggs then vanilla extract.
5. Add in baking soda, salt then the all purpose flour.
6. With a 1 tbsp disher (scooper) scoop 12 balls of dough out. Take the Perugina Dark Chocolate Caramelized Almond bars out of the freezer and break the 20 squares apart.
7. Flatten one dough ball in the palm of your hand. Place the frozen Perugina chocolate square in the center. Take another dough ball and make a sandwich with the bottom layer. Be sure to seal so no chocolate will escape!
I like to roll mine slightly in my hands to reform into a ball shape but this isn’t necessary.
8. Bake 6 stuffed cookies at a time about 2-3 inches apart 375 degrees for 10-11 minutes.
9. Allow to cool on pan for about 4-6 minutes then you can eat with the gooey-center of Perugina chocolate oozing out. We prefer to eat these warm to experience the melted, warm, luscious goodness of the Perugina chocolate. But they are definitely just as tasty room temperature!