Break Out That Easter Candy & Stuff Some Cookies
It’s here, that time of year where every store you go into is jammed packed with all sorts of yummy spring candies. I have a hard time not buying every bag of every flavor spring candy available. I rarely bring the little ladies with me down those isles because there is a guarantee of at least $20 worth of candy to be purchased. I’m sure I’m not the only mommy out there who struggles with the holiday isles, but Easter isles always hit us hard. After my many excursions down the spring displays and Easter is said and done with, I always have an extreme amount of left over candies. The left over candies would just sit in my freezer until I would eventually throw them out at Christmas time (yeh, guilty). The solution to this sweet spring problem was simple. And me, being the cookie baking queen, decided to have an Easter candy intervention. These Candy Stuffed Chocolate Cookies will make you look like one smart cookie.
I will teach y’all how to make my really simple chocolate cookies stuffed with cookies and cream flavored chocolate eggs. Yup, the Oreo lover in your house will adore these cookies and they are pretty simple to make. Just because I am using the Hershey’s Cookies and Cream chocolate eggs, doesn’t mean those are all you are limited to! These cookies can essentially be stuffed with Cadbury eggs, solid chocolate eggs, or caramel filled eggs. Please be sure to buy the mini sizes and freeze away for at least 3 hours. Another tip when venturing into this recipe, remember and be sure to completely cover the candy in the cookie dough 100%. If there is any candy showing, in even the tiniest hole, then the stuffing will ooze out while baking.
Let’s start baking…
Candy Stuffed Chocolate Cookies
Yields: 18 cookies
1/2 cup softened margarine with 80% vegetable oil
1/3 cup granulated sugar
1/3 cup packed brown sugar
2 tbsp instant chocolate pudding mix, dry
1/3 cup semi sweet chocolate chips, melted in microwave
1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/4 cups All purpose flour
18 frozen mini egg candies of your choice. I used Hershey’s Cookies and Cream mini eggs
*remember to freeze candies at least 3 hours before baking this recipe
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
2. In a mixer, beat margarine with both sugars until smooth.
3. Add in instant pudding mix and melted chocolate chips.
4. Stir in egg, followed by vanilla extract.
5. Then add baking soda and salt.
6. Finally stir in all purpose flour and be sure all is incorporated well.
7. With a 1.5 tbsp scooper, or however you prefer to scoop uniform sized balls, scoop out 18 cookie dough balls and place on baking sheets
8. Unwrap 18 frozen egg candies and place a candy in the center of each cookie dough ball.
9. Cover the frozen candy egg by rolling the cookie dough in your hand to form a ball around the candy.
10. Bake for 9 minutes at 375 degrees. Allow to cool about 5 minutes on sheet before moving to a rack.
1.While the cookies are cooling, whip up a simple ganache by combining 1/2 cup of milk heated in the microwave until it is almost boiling with 1 cup of semi sweet chocolate chips.
2. Mix well until smooth and pour into a small ziplock bag and make a very small hole in the bottom corner.
3. Zigzag the ganache over the top of cookies and sprinkle some crushed Oreos on top.
YUMMY in my tummy.
You will be the super star mommy when you share this recipe with all of your friends and show them your smart cookie-left over Easter candy skills.