Dark Chocolate Hot Cakes
I love surprising the little ladies with different breakfast choices on the weekends. This past weekend consisted of whatever I had left in the pantry from hurricane Irma. These days, I am completely obsessed with dark cocoa powder. And I also know if it looks like a dessert, my kids will eat every bite on their plates.
These dark chocolate hotcakes are light and fluffy. They can very easily be turned into a high-end dessert. Each cake sandwiches sweetened mascarpone cheese and freshly sliced strawberries. For an over-the-top presentation, don’t forget the powdered sugar and additional chocolate ganache!
Dark Chocolate Hotcakes
For the dark chocolate hotcakes:
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tbsp melted butter
- 1 egg
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 cup milk
- In a microwave safe bowl, melt butter.
- Whisk in sugar and cocoa powder until well combined.
- Stir in egg, salt and baking soda.
- Mix in milk, followed by all purpose flour.
- Cook on a greased nonstick skillet that is set on low heat until top forms bubbles.
- Flip and cook an additional 30 seconds to 1 minutes.
- 1 cup mascarpone cheese
- 1/3 cup powdered sugar
- Fresh strawberries, sliced
- In a bowl, using a handheld mixer, whip powdered sugar into mascarpone cheese.
- Layer sweetened mascarpone cheese with sliced strawberries in between each hotcake.