Outrageous Chocolate Holiday Cookies
I’m sure you now know, I was on the Today Show December 17, 2014. I was one of the 3 Holiday Cookie Finalists to present our cookies to the judges and be crowned the winner. The Today Show was amazing and everyone there is super sweet beyond words. I felt at home, completely comfortable and not one bit nervous. The behind the scenes hospitality is amazing and I was treated like a princess. I am happy to say I was the grand prize winner. And I got to kiss Al Roker!!! Here is the link: Holiday Cookie Segment. The Today Show requested that we write a little bit about ourselves and our families, this was an excerpt from my entry.
I LOVE having my 4 little ladies in the kitchen with me! The holidays are about family, love, & spending time making memories. I find the best memories (so far) are baking with my curious, glittery clan. There are so many fun & different Holiday candies, flavors, & chips available this time of year.The sky is the limit on my creations. I have never been professionally trained in baking, but can make you the best, moist, delectable cookies you’ve ever eaten. I have an artist background & like to use dessert as my medium.
I adore watching my littles’ eyes light up as they sneak a taste of the batter they just whipped up or bite into a cookie & the gooey surprise we stuffed inside just filled their mouths with pure bliss. Baking cookies also teachers math & patience, which is always a challenge in our busy family.
My husband adores all things chocolate & after a hard days work in the O.R., he can come home & sink his teeth into one of my delectable cookie creations. I believe there are few things sweeter than spending & watching your children create & enjoy the fruits of their labor.
My Outrageous Chocolate Holiday Cookies are dark chocolate cookie dough baked with a Holiday chocolate wafer cookie (winter Oreos) hidden inside. These sweet babies are dipped in semi-sweet chocolate and covered with crushed candy canes. It’s a wonderful combination of soft and crunchy. It looks difficult, but it is very easy to make and will have everyone swooning at your holiday gathering!
Let’s start baking…
Outrageous Chocolate Holiday Cookies
yields: 24 cookies
1 cup softened margarine, must be 80% vegetable oil (I use land o lakes)
3/4 cup granulated sugar
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup instant chocolate pudding mix (dry)
1 cup semi sweet chocolate chips, melted = to 1/2 cup melted chocolate
1 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
2 1/4 cups all purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1 package of winter oreos
Dipping chocolate or semi sweet chips melted according to directions
crushed candy canes
1. Preheat oven 375. Place Oreos in freezer about 10 minutes prior to baking.
2. In an electric mixer beat margarine until smooth. Add in sugars, then instant pudding mix.
3. Melt the cup of chocolate chips then add to batter when just warm (not hot!)
4. Mix in eggs, then vanilla.
5. Mix in baking soda, salt, then flour. Mix on low when combined well turn off mixer and mix thoroughly by hand.
6. Scoop out 1 tbsp dough balls and place on aside on parchment paper. Remove oreos from freezer.
7. Smash 1 dough ball flat in the palm of your hand, add oreo to the center. Take another dough ball and sandwich oreo between. Seal and gently roll to form a ball shape again. Just be sure that oreo is completely covered so no oozing occurs.
8. Place 6 on a baking sheet about 2 inches apart. Bake 375 for 10-11 minutes (mine is perfect at 10.5 minutes)
9. After cookies cool about 5 minutes on pan move to a cooling rack. Meanwhile melt dipping chocolate according to package directions or just melt chocolate chips in microwave.
10. Dip only half of the baked, cooled cookie in the chocolate. Immediately sprinkle with the crushed candy cane. Place on parchment paper until chocolate is dry.
Just some fun photos of my trip and appearance on the Today Show. I would love a chance to return and continues baking up giggles and love with the cast and crew.