Pep Up Dinner With My Latin Flare Burger
I can’t get enough burgers! I love the versatility of these hand-held dinners, not to mention the ease of hiding vegetables so my kids have NO idea what they’re eating.
I wanted to play on Latin American flavors. We are lovers of sweet plantains, black beans, and adobo seasoning, so this is where I began. This fresh, fire roasted jalapeno and corn adobo chicken patty is smothered in spicy black beans, crunchy spinach, honey-glazed grilled plantains, and a creamy mango rum smear. My Latin Flare burger disappeared in record time tonight.
Latin Flare Burger
Yields: 6 large burgers
Ingredients for the patty:
- 2 pounds ground chicken breast
- 1 large Vidalia onion, minced into meat
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 1 tbsp adobo seasoning
- 2 tbsp Montreal seasoning
- 2 jalapenos peppers, seeded and diced
- 1 cup of corn
- 1 tbsp hot sauce
- Preheat grill 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl, using a grater, grate in large Vidalia onion into the ground chicken.
- Add in cornmeal, adobo, Montreal, jalapenos, corn, and hot sauce. Gently fold with hands until all is well combined.
- Prepare 6 equal size patties and place on well greased grill.
- Cook about 6-8 minutes per side until internal reaches 165 degrees.
Ingredients for Toppings:
- 2 cans of seasoned black beans
- 6 ripe plantains
- fresh baby spinach
- creamy mango rum smear, recipe follows
- Heat black beans either on a pot on grill or in a microwave.
- Slice plantains in half down the center, leaving skin on. Brush with olive oil and place on grill about 8 minutes until nicely charred.
- Remove skin from grilled plantains and drizzle with honey.
- Prepare Creamy Mango Rum smear.
Creamy Mango Rum Smear:
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/3 cup mango puree ( peel and place 2 mangos in blender-puree)
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 1 tbsp dark rum
- salt to taste
- In a pot place all of the above ingredients.
- Place pot on grill or stovetop and bring to a low boil.
- Remove and allow to cool slightly.
- Using a large Potato bun, place chicken patty on top.
- Generously pile on black beans followed by spinach.
- Cut a plantain in half and lay the 2 honey drizzled slices flat side down on beans.
- Place a heaping amount of creamy mango rum smear on the top bun and there you have it! The Latin Flare burger.