Sophisticated Smores, No More Messy Handfuls!
We LOVE Smores, especially my husband. They mark the night by the campfire and have summer fun written all over them. But 2 days ago after cleaning up my 4 girls’ (and husband’s) Smores mess I had it! I mean yes, they are good and gooey, but the marshmallow and chocolate is constantly oozing out all over the table, shirts, hands, hair and faces. And my goodness, don’t ever consider serving this crowd pleasing dessert at a cocktail party. So, my baking expedition the next day was an elegant, cleaner, bite size Smore that won’t dribble down your chin. Don’t get me wrong, I like a messy dessert as well as anyone else, but you really can’t serve it at a gathering without a container of wet wipes (even for adults).
Once again I fall back on my Perfect Brownie Recipe as the base of this masterpiece. The rich, moist, dense, fudge brownie makes the perfect sturdy bottom. Then my secret weapon, seriously, I have never given this recipe out to anyone! We eat it out of the bowl by the spoonful, Graham Cracker Cream Cheese. Yes my friends, it’s similar to that wonderful cookie butter circulating the grocery stores, but OH so much better. You can put this stuff on anything. Shhh, a couple of my family members HATE cream cheese but eat my Graham Cracker Cream Cheese because they simple can’t tell or know that it’s in there (insert evil laugh here). Top this bite size baby off with a half marshmallow that is perfectly toasted by my friend “The Torch” and a zigzag of semi sweet ganache and you have got yourself one delicately, delicious, adult-ified dessert.
The Perfect Brownie
10 Tbsp unsalted butter
1 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
3/4 cup good cocoa powder (I love Ghirardelli brand)
1/4 tsp salt (heaping)
1/2 tsp instant coffee (I prefer Starbucks VIA)
2 tsp pure vanilla extract
1/2 cup mini semi sweet chocolate chips (I love Ghirardelli as well)
1/2 cup all purpose flour
Graham Cracker Cream Cheese
1/2 cup salted butter (1 stick, softened)
8 ounces cream cheese (softened)
2 cups powdered sugar
1 tbsp clear imitation vanilla extract (I like McCormicks)
3 cups crushed graham cracker crumbs (3 sleeves)
1 cup heavy cream
2 cups semi sweet chocolate chips
9 regular size marshmallows cut in half (18 total)
1 inch circle cutter
2 piping bags or ziplock bags
For The Brownies:
1. Preheat oven 325 degrees. Line a 8×8 pan with tin foil for easy removal after baked and cooled. I
also like to spray the foil with nonstick spray.
2. Put about 2 inches of water in the pot and place on burner using a medium to medium-high heat.
Place pyrex bowl on top. This is the double boiler method.
3. Place butter in the pyrex bowl and melt thoroughly using a whisk to stir out lumps. Add both
sugars, cocoa powder, instant coffee, and salt. Mix on double boiler until mixture is completely
wet looking and well combined. Remove bowl from heat and set aside for about 5 minutes until
4. Add 2 eggs when the mixture is not hot enough to cook the eggs. Mix eggs well and add vanilla.
5. Mix in flour and finally add the mini chocolate chips. Batter will be thick. Using a spatula, pour
into prepared pan.
6. Bake at 325 for 25 minutes. Toothpick will be mostly clean and edges will definitely look done.
Allow to cool completely before removing the tin foil from pan.
7. When thoroughly cooled, cut 18 bite size circle brownies and set on serving dish.
For Graham Cracker Cream Cheese:
1. Beat softened butter and cream cheese in an electric mixer on high until smooth and creamy.
2. Add clear vanilla and mix on low.
3. With a food processor, crush 3 sleeves of graham crackers. This will give you 3 cups.
4. On stir setting add 2 cups of powdered sugar. Mix until smooth.
5. Add crushed graham crackers. Mixture will be thick, almost cookie dough like.
6. Place in a piping bag and snip off end. The opening should be about the size of your pinkie finger.
7. Pipe on cooled brownie circles with 2 turns of the piping bag finishing with a peak on the top.
AND OF COURSE HAVE A SPOON ON STANDBY BECAUSE I GUARANTEE THERE WILL BE NO LEFT OVERS!
For The Ganache:
1. Heat 1 cup heavy cream in a 4 cup glass liquid measuring cup in the microwave until almost
2. Remove and immediately add the semi sweet chocolate chips. Stir until smooth. When just warm
to touch, place a small amount in a piping bag and snip and very tiny hole in the end.
1. Cut 9 standard size marshmallows in half using scissors.
2. Place the cut side down on the graham cracker cream cheese. Using your kitchen torch according
to the manufacturer directions. Toast the tops of the marshmallows until a light golden brown
1. Zigzag the warm ganache on top of the toasted marshmallows.
2. Enjoy and be happy because your dessert will be the star of the party!
NOW THIS SHOULD BE KEPT ROOM TEMPERATURE. AS LONG AS YOU ARE NOT OUT IN THE BLARING SUN AT THE BEACH YOU SHOULD HAVE NO PROBLEMS WITH THE CREAM CHEESE KEEPING ITS SHAPE.
I ALWAYS SAY THAT THE FLAVORS OF MY DESSERTS ARE BEST AT ROOM TEMPERATURE!
Since I have fallen in love with this pretty and fun idea of the Sophisticated Smore, I have decided to let this be my second entry in the Dixie Crystal Brownie Dessert Contest (this is the link for the contest) #fwcon. I can’t possible let these show stoppers not be judged by the best! Wish me luck.