Sweet Hearted Sugar People Cookies. Shake & Rattle Your Holiday Cookie Gifts.
Baking cookies for the girls’ classes are a big part of our Christmas celebrations. This year, I was looking to do something more fun and unique than the average decorated sugar cookie. I have been totally consumed with production happenings, the girls’ school functions, and everything else household related. So it is a super huge relief to finally get back into my kitchen and get creative.
These sugar cookie people are my simple cut out recipe, that is filled with clear, homemade vanilla lollipops. The lollipop acts as a window and allows the sprinkles to be seen and shake around like a rattle 🙂
Bare with me, it seems like a lot of steps. But the longest part is the decorating. So get those kiddos in the kitchen and get artsy with your Holiday cookies.
Sweet Hearted Sugar People Cookies
Yields: 10 cookies (3 sugar cookies per serving)
Sugar Cookie Ingredients:
1 cup unsalted butter, softened
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
1 tbsp clear vanilla extract
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
4 cups all purpose flour
1.5-2″ heart cutter (make sure it will fit inside your gingerbread shape)
White chocolate candy melts
Sugar Cookie Directions:
1. Preheat oven 375 degrees. In a mixer beat butter until smooth. Add in sugar and then eggs. Mix in vanilla, followed by baking soda, salt and all purpose flour.
2. Between 2 sheets of parchment paper, roll dough about 1/2″thick. Refrigerate about 10 minutes to make cutting dough easier.
3. Cut 3 gingerbread shapes per serving. 2 of the gingerbread men need to have a heart cut out of the center.
4. Bake 375 degrees 8-10 minutes.
5. Allow to cool completely. Repeat steps until all the dough is used.
Clear Lollipop Ingredients:
2 cups granulated sugar
2/3 cup light corn syrup
1/4 cup water
1 tsp clear vanilla extract
Clear Lollipop directions:
1. Take the 1 heart cut out cookie, per serving, (this is the top decorated cookie) and lay them on a silicon mat.
2. In a medium pot on medium high heat, combine sugar, corn syrup, and water. During the boiling process, do not stir. When crystallization occurs on the sides of your pot, use a pastry brush dipped in ice water to brush down the sides of the boiling pot.
3. Bring to a boil up to 310 degrees. Remove from heat and stir in the clear vanilla.
4. Immediately pour the clear mixture into the heart cut out to match the height of the cookie. Allow to cool completely so it will harden and not crack. Carefully lift off of mat and place on a rack for decorating.
1. Melt white candy melts according to directions. Place in a baggie and snip off the end.
2. Trace the back of the cut out cookie (the one with no lollipop) with the melted candy and place on top of solid cookie.
3. Allow to dry without moving. Add in the holiday sprinkles of your choice. Set aside and wait for further assembly.
Royal Icing Ingredients For Decoration:
4 cups powdered sugar
3 tbsp meringue powder
6-8 tbsp water
1 tbsp clear vanilla
Royal Icing Directions:
1. In a mixer, beat all ingredients, except gel color, for 10 minutes.
2. The more water you add the thinner your icing will be. I highly suggest starting out with only 6 tbsp of water, remove smaller portions into other bowls, color the separate bowls.
3. Place the thicker icing colors in different piping bags with a tip (I like #2 tips) and then take some of each color and add more water for flooding cookies for a smooth look. Place the thinner icing in squeeze bottles and use toothpicks to get into the smaller areas of the cookie.
4. For a very cute and decorated cookie. Outline the shape with the thicker royal icing, allow to dry. Then flood with same color. Allow it to dry then go back and add more details.
5. You are only decorating the cookie with the lollipop heart in the center, this is your top cookie.
1. After the decorated top cookie is fully dry, it can take up to 24 hours to harden, remelt candy melts in the baggie.
2. Turn over the decorated cookie and carefully outline it with the candy melts. Do not get it on your clear lollipop heart.
3. Sandwich the decorated cookie down onto your already assembled and filled sprinkle bottoms.
4. Allow to dry completely. Wrap individually and give as gifts!
These cookies are very easily changed in flavors. As long as you chose a clear extract, they will work the exact same 🙂