Waffle Lovers Beware! Crispy Maple Waffle Treats
I believe I have explained to y’all before, that my husband and girls are head-over-heels for waffles…Yes, for as long as I have known Trip (going on 11 years), he as always consumed at least 2 Eggo waffles for breakfast. The littles enjoy waffles every other morning because I just cannot fathom eating that stuff everyday of their lives. Today, I was craving rice cereal treats and found myself fresh out of the cereal. As I puttered around the cupboards and refrigerator, I came across a couple boxes of Mini Maple Eggo waffles in the freezer. The lightbulb magically went off, “Why can’t I crisp up some waffles and use them as the crunchy ingredient?”. And there you have it, the Crispy Waffle Treats were born. My ladies gobbled them up quickly, when they arrived “starving” from their day at school.
It is really a fun experience when an idea/experiment works the first time ’round! I mean 3 ingredients? How can you go wrong? My mind quickly began swirling…I can very easily change the treat flavors by buying the unique types Eggo has to offer. Or let’s not forget adding some dried fruits or flavored baking chips!
Let’s start baking…
Crispy Maple Waffle Treats
1 box of maple flavored frozen waffles
1.5 tbsp of salted butter
2 1/2 cups of mini marshmallows
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Unwrap entire box of waffles. Place a baking rack on top of a cookie sheet. Put all waffles on rack and bake in oven 8-10 minutes until crispy.
2. Using a food processor, crush the toasted waffles up to the size of a nickel. Then remove the baking rack and spread waffles out on cookie sheet. Bake again 7-10 minutes to crisp.
3. In a medium pot on medium heat, melt butter and only 2 cups of marshmallows. When fully melted, remove from heat and add in toasted waffle pieces. Mix until all pieces are covered in the mixture.
4. Stir in the additional 1/2 cup of mini marshmallows so we can see them in the bars!
5. Place warm waffle treat mixture on parchment paper & flatten with hand (spray your hand with nonstick spray). Allow to cool & cut 12 snack size servings.